We caught up with Lyn, a volunteer collecting signatures with Missouri Jobs with Justice Voter Action. Read more below about why she’s involved in the Clean Missouri campaign.
Q: What drew you to the Clean Missouri campaign?
A: You know, I believe that campaign finance reform is absolutely necessary for restoring democracy in our state.
Q: How will the Clean Missouri initiative change the political landscape in our state?
A: My hope is the state legislature will be more responsive to the voters and act in their best interest instead of their largest campaign contributors.
Q: What’s the best thing about volunteering with Clean Missouri?
A: I’ve really been surprised by how enthusiastic most people are about signing the petition. So many folks thank us for the work we’re doing once they’ve signed. It really motivates me to keep volunteering and gathering signatures!
Q: Is there anything else you want to share about your experience?
A: I enjoy meeting the other volunteers! We all come from different walks of life and have different reasons to be a part of this campaign. It shows how important the Clean Missouri initiative is and why it’s so necessary for Missouri.
Now, it’s your turn.
Here are the facts – The Clean Missouri amendment will:
- lower campaign contribution limits for state legislative candidates
- eliminate almost all lobbyist gifts
- require politicians wait two years before becoming lobbyists
- require that legislative records be open to the public
- ensure that neither political party is given an unfair advantage when new maps are drawn after the next census, by asking a nonpartisan expert to draw fair legislative district maps, which would then be reviewed by a citizen commission